Monday 1 February 2010

Day Twenty Two














It was another beautiful morning here in Northern Afghanistan. Chris and I were headed out on another mission this morning, so we were up early to prepare ourselves, get some breakfast, and join our Army friends for another trip outside the wire. This time, the trip was to Qala-i-Jangi.

The Battle of Qala-i-Jangi took place between November 25 and December 1, 2001, in Northern Afghanistan. It began with the uprising of Taliban prisoners held at Qala-i-Jangi fortress, and escalated into one of the bloodiest engagements of the War in Afghanistan. Northern Alliance fighters, assisted by British and American special forces, took seven days to finally quell the revolt, leaving only 86 prisoners alive out of an original 300. (Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Qala-i-Jangi)

You can read more about it using the source link provided above. It is very interesting, and you can see photos and much like what Chris and I took today in the following link:
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/presents/shows/house.of.war/interactive/photo.gallery/content.html

You can also see a short video of the history behind this story using the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YbP_k_CHU&feature=fvw

There is a National Geographic documentary called "Situation Critical" that talks all about the uprising at Qala-i-Jangi. If you've seen it or heard about it, that's where we were today. As you read it, you'll probably note the name "Mike Spann" in the article. Yes, the camp I am deployed to is named "Camp Mike Spann"...and yes, it's named after that guy. Read more about it in the Wikipedia article. The guy is a hero.

Chris actually went on the tour of the place while I documented the Afghan Army guys searching for Unexploded Ordinances (UXOs), Mines, and weapons. So, he got more photos of the actual stuff you'll read about than I did. Most of my photos are of the walls outside and of the ANA guys working. If you look closely at some of mine and Chris's photos, you'll see many of the same things in the videos and links that are in ours. [And if you haven't figured it out already, you can double-click on the "small" photos and they will appear full size]

So, we arrived at Qala-i-Jangi and all the Afghan National Army Route Clearance Team soldiers got prepared to search for UXOs, mines, and weapons. I watched as the U.S. Army soldiers set up "lanes" for them to search, and told them exactly what to do. The ANA soldiers with the mine detectors (called "sweepers") did a great job looking for things, using the same mine detectors I talked about during the last mission. When they'd hear that familiar ringing in their headsets signifying that something was lurking beneath the surface, they'd form a "halo" with poker chips around the area. This gave the next soldier a visual aid, as they would come behind the sweepers and "probe" the earth with an eighteen inch plastic probe. They poked it into the ground until they felt something, then carefully used small shovels to dig up whatever the mine detector had detected. It was crazy the amount of things they found in such a small area in such a short period of time. If you read the Wikipedia article, you'll note that there was alot of fighting going on inside the Fort at the end of 2001 between the "good guys" and the Taliban. The amount of shrapnel, mortar rounds, weapons, and shell casings were amazing. They even found stakes with trip wires and fins from rockets and mortars. This place was huge and they only did a "lane" that was about maybe fifteen feet wide and maybe 50 yards long. I can't even imagine what else is lurking beneath the earth's surface in that place. Regardless, it was an interesting trip and from what I hear, not too many Americans get to see it. I'll get the chance to go back sometime soon to play "tourist" like so many others did today. I'll get more photos of the "good stuff" then. In the meantime, I've added some of Chris's photos that he got while he was "touring." He got some amazing shots (as usual) that he has allowed me to share with everyone. Enjoy.

I got some great video and was as excited about putting this one together as I was the first one. I came back to the office and finished off the first video, after calling Bari (our interpreter) in to translate the Afghan comments and do a voiceover in English for me to use. It turned out great. As luck would have it, I was able to finish the video of what I shot today also, and that one turned out well too. The second one wasn't as entailed, so it didn't take me as long. Once again, my PA ANA's missed out. They didn't show up again this morning to go with us, so another great training opportunity went to waste. Oh well. I made the most of it by doing what I love to do, seeing a place many Americans will never get to see, and doing all of it under a clear blue sky and a beautiful, bright sun. What more can you ask for?

The convoy home was much like the last time, only with more kids outside. The truck gunner had a box of candy and was tossing it to the kids as we passed by. I noticed many more "thumbs up" signs being flashed at us, and even saw some kids playing volleyball in the sand. I know I mentioned it before, but you just can't help but wonder how things were here ten years ago. Would this still be happening? How "free" were these people back then? It sure made me feel proud to be an American at that point...knowing that what we've done and continue to do allow these people the freedom to do the things they want to do. They still may not have the means to do everything we can do in America, but at least they're free. That's a start.

The rest of the day was much like all the others have been. I finished up exporting the final files for my videos and then went to run on the treadmill. I actually ran six miles today, narrowing the gap between Sandy, Chris, and I. Sandy is sitting at twenty-two miles, Chris at twenty-one miles, and I'm currently at nineteen miles. They're both one day ahead of me though, I have to admit. Any excuse I can use is a good one at this point!

So, it was an amazing day and it felt very good to get out and continue to do the job that I love so much. My only wish now is that my ANA counterparts can start making it out with us so I can teach them how to do what I've been doing the past few days. I've been doing this for almost seventeen years. I KNOW how to do it. I'm here to teach THEM how to do it. It's frustrating at times, but just as I've been doing, I'll take advantage of the opportunities I have to document things I might never see again, and to just enjoy the opportunity to see these things with my own eyes. The more I see outside the wire, the more I want to continue going. I know that might make some of you a little uneasy, but I just can't hide behind the concrete walls and concertina wire for the next six months. I want to experience the country, its culture, and all the other things that are out there. Now don't get me wrong, there are some things out there that I absolutely DO NOT want to experience. But, sometimes you only get one shot to take advantage of a given opportunity...and I'm going to take advantage of this one. Afghanistan is an amazing place, and I'm hoping to help make it even more amazing during my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment