Monday 8 February 2010

Day Twenty Nine

Well, since the Super Bowl was on so early in the morning, I decided to just stay up through the night to watch it. So, that's how today started. I sat in the Dining Facility, where they had a small TV tucked in the corner with the game on, and some football streamers and stuff on the walls. It was rather inconvenient, as the area we were in was very small, and they had a huge room right next to us with a bigger TV in it that they refused to use. Go figure.

They brought out some "football food" for us; wings, poppers, cheese sticks, fries, etc., etc., so we at least had something. It was nothing spectacular, but since I had just run ten miles, I figured I could stray from my current diet a little bit. The food was pretty good actually.

I spent most of the game annoyed to be quite honest. I'm not sure if it was me just feeling tired after the run and being up all night, or if it was just stupid people. I swear that everyone around me knew exactly what was going to happen on every play. One guy behind me was the biggest know-it-all in the world. He knew everything about run plays and pass plays apparently. He would say "run play" or "pass play" before EVERY (and I mean EVERY) play. Talk about getting on my nerves. OK, let's think about this...Peyton is in the shotgun, Addai is running off the field, and there's no running back in the backfield. Hmmmm. I'm guessing that it's going to be a pass play? Give me a break...please. Another guy next to me seemed to know everything there was to know about football. Another guy knew nothing about football, but tried to act like he did. It was funny because an ESPN commercial came on and he said, "hey we get an ESPN commercial?" Now, reading that may not seem funny to you, but he actually said the word ESPN, as opposed to saying the individual letters, E-S-P-N. He pronounced it like, "ES'PIN." Again, he had probably never watched sports before in his life, but was trying to act cool. I couldn't help but laugh inside. What a dork.

The other thing that I didn't like about my Super Bowl experience was watching all the insincere scrub pro athletes on TV saying their ten seconds of "thanks for what you do" to the troops. It's so fake and virtually meaningless. I don't know why AFN or anyone even bothers to do that. And it says alot about pro athletes when it's only the backups to the backups that you see on there saying anything anyway. One guy wasn't even being serious, acting like a fool when he was saying "thank you." These guys have no idea. Come spend six months in any of our shoes and we'll see how funny you think things are then. Idiots.

The game sucked for me. I just wanted to be home eating pigs in a blanket and cheese dip and veggie trays at home with my family like we always do. I just kind of sat there by myself, cheering inside when Peyton and the Colts went up 10-0. And, when Peyton threw that last interception to pretty much seal the Saints victory, all I could do was shake my head, grab my coat and get ready to walk out. There were no football pools or friends there. There was no family. It was just me. I really missed home today.

The game was over around 8am here. I went to bed, as I was tired after the long run and being up all night. I have nothing else to write about for today, as I just woke up and it's already 10:30 pm here. I know, I know...but we had the day off today and I can. HAHAHA Hopefully after I get done with this and finish eating, I'll be able to go back to sleep after sleeping for the past twelve hours. I guess we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment