Thursday 4 February 2010

Day Twenty Five

I got up this morning pretty excited about finally getting the chance to do some training with our ANA's at the ANA boot camp graduation. I got to the office after getting some breakfast, and Sandy, Chris and I made our way to the gate to pick up Bari, our interpreter.

On our way to the ANA camp, Bari told us about his conversation with the ANP General. If you remember yesterday, I mentioned the story about how the ANP province PAO refused to give us back our equipment and that the situation had made its way up to the ANP General. The General relayed through Bari that he was very happy with Sandy and all that we were doing here, and that the ANP province PAO would be getting a letter directly from him stating that the equipment will be returned. The General told Bari that if the response to HIM is negative much like it was with us, he will put the province PAO in jail. End of story. Maybe there is some good in this place after all.

We made it to the ANA PA office to greet everyone prior to going to the boot camp graduation. Yesterday, we wanted to do a site survey to see where the event was and make preparations, but LtCol Niem told us to just come at 0830 this morning for the 0930 start. So we did. Now, here's where the first part of training starts. Site survey...a survey of an event location prior to the event date used to plan, prepare, and coordinate personnel, equipment, location, etc. There's a reason why we do this in my career field.

So, we get to the event location. Doors are locked. We walk around to the other side of the building. Doors are locked. We notice off into the distance that there are armed guards around a gate and a big "WELCOME" sign on the fence. OK, there has been a location change. The event moved from inside to outside. Obviously with what I do for a career, that matters a little bit. Lighting, wind...that plays maybe just a small factor in videotaping events. Just a small part. WOW. Good thing I planned for the worst and had everything I needed anyway...inside or outside.

I walked around the corner of this building and the sight just blew me away. Over fourteen hundred soldiers with bright green berets and stern faces were standing in a formation about as big as any I'd ever seen. All these new soldiers were ready to begin their lives in the Afghan military. I was taken aback at the looks of some of them. You would expect many young faces, but there were many older faces in the crowd as well. You couldn't help but wonder what their situations were like in their life that led them to this. "Are they just getting out of school?" "Did this guy have nothing else to do to support his family?" Those questions ran through my mind as I scanned the formation looking at all the different faces. It truly was an amazing sight, and a step forward for the Afghan military. These men had made a decision to join the "good" fight...they didn't become Taliban or some other kind of rogue terrorist group. They chose to fight in an Army to protect their country and their newfound freedoms. It was good to see.

Training had finally begun! I took the reigns and sped out of the gate right off the bat. This event was much like a retirement ceremony or change of command or any other military ceremony I've seen. I've probably videotaped over a thousand of these things in my career, so I have the process down perfectly. Now it was time to train these guys how to do it. I decided on a three camera shoot, and tried to explain the concept of the main camera to Rohullah Amin and Nasir. I told them that the main camera maintains the same shot throughout, so the in the editing process you always have a "fail safe" shot to fall back on. The main camera also carries the main audio of the event with a wired or wireless microphone. Normally what we do is attach the microphone end of the wireless to the microphone on the podium and that does the trick. That's what I did this time and showed them all how to do it. I gave them the choice to be on whatever camera they wanted, but they told me I should decide based on what I think it best. I told them that I would stay on the main camera, as I really wouldn't be able to critique their footage if one of them was on that one - since it's really not moving at all. So, they both had roaming cameras, catching various shots of the formation, soldiers, and distinguished visitors.

Prior to event start time is normally a good time to get some good shots of various things. Rohullah Amin was bouncing around with his camera and I was watching over his shoulder most of the way. He has a great eye for the shots he wants, but has a little trouble with the actual composition of the shot itself. For example, he might have a great shot, but it would be 75% sky and 25% subject. You get what I'm saying. Too much "headroom" for those of us in the video career field. I worked on that with him and also worked with him to get closeups of faces and people. He responded well, as most of his shots after that were better. Sometimes I wonder if what I say goes in one ear and out the other, but he seemed to be doing good. It's a big step in the right direction. Nasir was nowhere to be found. He is the E-6 that's about to be a Captain and a deputy PAO. You know, the one who doesn't do anything that I talked about before. When I finally found him, he was standing around with his hands in his pockets doing nothing. I told Bari to tell Nasir to get his camera and start doing something. He got an attitude and huffed and puffed, but did what he was told...for a little while anyway. He's getting promoted and moving offices, so he just doesn't care. We'll see about him moving offices. A recommendation to the Corps Commander from a U.S. PA mentor saying that Nasir shouldn't take on a new position - mostly because he doesn't know anything - might change that. It's in his best interest to learn as much as he can. He doesn't want to mess around too much with me.

The event started and Rohullah Amin and Nasir both set up their cameras on the podium just like my camera was. All three of us had the same shot. I yelled for Bari, and told him to tell them to SHOOT SOMETHING ELSE! Did they not understand what I had JUST told them about camera positions? Really? I explained their roles if full detail. In my mind I'm thinking, "these guys cannot be that dumb." Rohullah Amin got it and took off with his camera, as did Nasir. What I found out later was that Nasir took a couple shots and then went to the back of the formation and sat down. Again, you can't tell that guy anything. He just doesn't care. Rohullah Amin was all over the place for a while, but then put his camera on the tripod, turned it off and just stood there about halfway through. Once again, I called for Bari (who was now sitting down listening to the ceremony) and told him to tell Rohullah Amin to get his camera and go shoot. I also told him to tell him that the camera should never be turned off and he shouldn't ever be standing there doing nothing during the ceremony. Now granted, there is a time when you know you have enough cutaways and extra shots to make the video work. But I knew he didn't know that. He just stopped because he felt like it. Once Bari relayed that to him, he grabbed the camera and started shooting again - no questions asked. Rohullah Amin WANTS to learn. Sometimes he rolls his eyes and is like "yeah, yeah, yeah," but for the most part, he listens and follows my instructions without question. I like that. It's the only way they're going to learn. Some people get it, and obviously, some people don't.

The event ended and I headed back to the office with the team. I took Nasir's tape with me back to our camp because I wanted to see just what he had shot...or hadn't shot. I was pleasantly surprised at what I did see though. Although it was only about eight minutes of footage for a ninety minute ceremony, the shots were composed fairly well, and it appears that he did retain some of the basic shooting techniques that the last team taught him. One of the very few things they taught them. He can shoot pretty good, but his attitude stinks. Again, he just doesn't care. That will be brought up on Saturday when we see them again.

Overall, the training went well. We'll get more into the editing process on Saturday, but from what I saw, these guys didn't do too bad. Even the Major (the deputy PAO) took some things that Sandy had told him in our meeting and applied them to the event today. Chris got around and shot a ton of photos and was able to train Said Mohammad on photo also. It was a pretty successful day. Fourteen hundred new soldiers were about to enter the Afghan National Army and start defending their country with all the others that preceded them. They've all become the "good guys." That's fourteen hundred men that we don't have to worry about becoming Taliban. It just doesn't get any better than that.

One of the officers who maintains and operates all the mentoring teams - LtCol Inglin - came to visit us today for a few days. He's stationed in Kabul for a year and was in the area, so he decided to come visit us and see how we're living and see what we're dealing with here. You have to respect someone like that who comes out to see what his people are doing. I've always thought highly of leaders who "get out in the weeds" to see what's going on; to see what issues are out there and see what people are facing. It means alot to know that someone like that is up at the top making decisions that affect you. I'm glad he's here and glad that he seems to care so much about helping us do what we're doing here. We had lunch and gave him the tour of the camp. We all talked about our issues, about equipment, about things we've done, and many other topics. He was very receptive and took many notes. It was a good visit today, and we'll probably be able to talk about much more in the days coming up while he's here.

I decided to Icy Hot my knees and see if I could run on the treadmill today. Yesterday wasn't so hot, as my knee was throbbing pretty bad as I'm sure you read. I got through the first half-mile and started feeling it hurting, but knew that I had to get at least two miles on the board before Chris and Sandy's totals become out of reach for me. I got to one mile and started feeling ok. I don't know if the Icy Hot was working, or if everything else on me was burning so bad that I didn't feel my knee...but I felt good. I felt like running...and I NEVER feel like running. In fact, I HATE running. I ran for six miles again and felt great afterwards. My knee did hurt immediately after, but felt ok after about ten minutes. I'm not sure if something's wrong of if I'm just getting old. With as much of a beating as my body's taken over the years with all the sports I've played, I've been lucky to never have any knee problems. I don't want them now. But one thing I can't control is time...and FORTY is right around the corner for me.

It was a good day. I actually felt like I did what I came here to do, and have already started seeing some good things. As we progress through the training, I'm sure things will be ok. Sure, we'll have our moments, but I think we'll be ok. It's strange to have my feelings fluctuate from day to day. Sometimes I think it'll never happen...sometimes I think it'll be ok. I just have to continue to do what I've been saying I'll do...keep my head up and stay positive. I have to be the example, and LEAD them. It's what I'm best at and I take alot of pride in it. I want all my Airmen to be the BEST...and I want these guys to be the best too. Things are so different when your focus shifts more toward the people you're teaching than yourself. I love watching my Airmen become successful, be recognized, win awards, and earn medals. While these Afghan soldiers may not win any awards or earn any medals because of me, they will be successful and be recognized. I'm sure of it. On my 180th post, I want to be able to say "I'm happy with what I did here...and I'm proud of all of them." If I can feel like that at that point after all we've been through and will go through...it'll all have been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment